Fall weather is in the air and this hearty rich soup is the perfect food to help us transition into the cooler months ahead. Enjoy.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Ingredients 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 onions, chopped
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. caraway seeds
5 medium cloves of garlic, minced
2 stalk celery, minced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 zucchini, chopped 2 tsp. dried oregano or 1 tbsp fresh chopped
2 tsp dried rosemary, chopped or 1 tbsp fresh chopped
3 large basil leaves, sliced thinly
1 tsp dried or 2 tsp fresh dill
Fresh black pepper, to taste
1 medium red or green bell pepper, seeded and diced
3-4 cups, or more, of water with 1 bullion cube or vegetable stock
2 cups tomato puree 1½ cups cooked chickpeas, white beans and or kidney beans ½ to 1 cup dry pasta, any shape
½ cup freshly minced parsley Parmesan cheese Home made whole grain croutons
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large heavy bottomed pot.
- Add onion, garlic, and salt. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, then add celery, carrot, zucchini, oregano, caraway seeds, dill, rosemary, black pepper and basil.
- Cover and cook over very low heat about 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper, stock or water, and tomato puree. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes. Add beans and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper if desired
- Cook pasta, salted, and set aside.
- Bring the soup to a gentle boil. Add cooked pasta to the soup or, if desired, or serve pasta in bowls and top with soup.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, and top with parsley, parmesan cheese, and enjoy!