Who Says Chocolate Isn’t A Health Food?
Mood booster- check √
Heart healthy treat- check √
Delicious and nutritious- check √
These truffles are literally out of this world! The combined richness in taste and creamy texture will have you closing your eyes as they melt in your mouth taking you to far away dreamy places!
Truffle base- creating a ganache
1 cup heavy whipping cream
16 ounces bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Optional: 1 tbsp. liqueur (brandy, cognac, rum), or espresso, and/or chopped fruit (cranberries, dates, apricots), and/or finely chopped nuts. Add more liquid if adding nuts. ½ cup nuts= additional ½ cup cream. Mix and match flavors for a big WOW factor.
For extra chocolaty craziness try adding a Chocolate Coating-
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped
Unsweetened cocoa powder (optional; for rolling)
Chopped nuts- walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans
For truffle base:
- Bring cream to simmer in heavy small saucepan. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, stir chocolate in double boiler or metal bowl over saucepan of simmering water until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cream.
- Add additional goodies and mix well – liqueur, nuts, or espresso
- Pour onto pan and chill truffle base until firm enough to roll, about 3 hours or overnight.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with waxed paper. Roll 2 teaspoons truffle base between fingertips into ball. Transfer to prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining truffle base. Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
For chocolate coating:
Line rimmed baking sheet with waxed paper. Stir chocolate in metal bowl over saucepan of simmering water just until melted. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
Dip truffle in melted chocolate . Transfer to prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining melted chocolate and truffles, re-warming chocolate if necessary.
Or, just roll in cocoa powder, toasted coconut flakes, or chopped nuts
Chill until firm, about 1 hour. Store in airtight container and keep chilled in fridge for one week or freezer for a few months or however long they last!