Pronounced “ah-zoo-kee”, these lil’ bitty red beans are simply scrumptious. They provide a delightful nutty flavor and a nice texture along with a good deal of protein, too.
1 cup millet
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
2 cups cooked adzuki beans
2 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 large red onion
¼ cup parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Toast millet in a large pan for a few minutes.
- Add the 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 25 minutes until water is absorbed, take off heat and set aside.
- While the millet is cooking, sauté the red onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes until fragrant, then set aside.
- In a food processor, add 1 cup of cooked adzuki beans plus 2 cups of cooked millet, parsley, cooked sweet potatoes, and half the onion mixture and process until well combined.
- Add in the remaining beans, onion mixture and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pulse mixture a few times to combine.
- Form into patties.
- Place on preheated griddle or pan over medium heat coated with olive oil and cook 4-5 minutes per side. Serve warm on whole-wheat bun or over greens.
- Really tasty with a sweet chili dipping sauce, YUM!
Recipe adapted from SIMPLYNUTRITIOUSKATE